Sunday, December 23, 2012

A Christmas Horse

816 words

So as i was looking through some older documents on my computer, i ran across something that i had written when i was younger. I used to love, love, love horses and for a few years i kept hoping that i would get one for Christmas. I never did. But a few years ago i wrote a story called Christmas Horse and i thought that I'd like to share it with you all!


I’ve been wanting a horse for Christmas for as long as I can remember. And of course, I never got one; until last year.

 
        Last Christmas was the best one yet. I was 12 years old and my parents had told me their Santa “secret.” I believed them until Christmas morning.

        A few weeks earlier, I visited Santa Claus for the last time. He asked me the usual, you know, “What would you like for Christmas?” and I answered him,

        This is most likely my last year talking to you, so I will tell you my dream I’ve had since before I remember.” I paused, seeing what Santa would do. Then I continued,” I want a dazzling black horse: white blaze and white socks on all four feet.”

        “I’ll see what I can do,” Santa said.

        “Thank you,” I said. I took the candy cane he offered me.

        On the ride home, my mom told me.

        “Jenny,” she said, “I don’t want to tell you this, but there is no Santa Claus.” She paused, and then spoke again. “We, your dad and I, we are Santa Claus.”

        I sat there, stunned. “So I just told my number one wish to a complete FAKE?”

        “I’m afraid so,” my mom said.

        “Thanks a lot mom,” I yelled, “you just ruined Christmas! You- you- you Christmas-joy ruiner!” I stormed out of the car and into the house. I ran into my room and slammed the door behind me. That night, I cried myself to sleep.

 
        Tomorrow is Christmas Eve. Now that I know that there is no Santa, I know I will never get my dazzling black horse. Mom and dad will never get me a horse for Christmas, and they’re too expensive to pay with my money. My Christmas has just been ruined.

 

* * *

Today is Christmas Eve and I’m not as excited as I usually am. It’s probably my mom’s story about her being Santa Claus. Unfortunately, I believe her. Christmas just isn’t the same without Santa.

 
        It’s Christmas morning and yeah, I’m happy, but not as much as I usually am. I will not be getting a horse for Christmas, ever.

        As we go down to open our presents, I notice an awkward shaped gift under the tree. It says it’s from Santa, but I just roll my eyes and began to unwrap it. I gasp. It is a shiny new saddle! Mom probably just thought that I could use it in my lessons. The next gift was a bridle. Something was really weird here. The next gifts were a girth, helmet, and grooming kit. Finally I said something.      

        “Mom, dad, what is all this?” I said seriously.

        “We didn’t get you any of this,” my dad said, "it must have been Santa!"

        “Yeah, right. Come on, just admit it.”

       
        Something moved outside. I went to see what it was. When I opened the door, I realized what all the strange presents were for. Standing in the white snow, was the most gorgeous, dazzling black horse I had ever seen. His halter was the brightest yellow and on his nose was the whitest blaze I had ever. His feet were tipped in white.

        Without shoes, I ran out into the snow to my new beloved horse.

        “Mom, dad? Did you do all this?” I was still awe struck.

        My parents just stood there smiling at me, the joy on my face was reflected in theirs. 

        “What will you call him?” my dad asked.

        I had that all that planned in my head. “Jingle Bell Rock,” I said hugging my new horse.

 

 

* * *

That Christmas was the best one I ever had.
 
Probably one of the corniest Christmas stories you have ever read and back then my writing wasn't up to par yet but I still love the story. I love it because it shows my angle on Santa Claus. No I don't believe that one man goes to every house in the world in one night and puts presents under their Christmas trees but i do believe in the magic of Christmas. I believe in Christmas miracles and maybe there is someone putting that little voice into parents' heads saying it's okay, go ahead and get that for you child. It IS Christmas after all!
 
I think I'll leave you with that. I won't be back until after the new year so until then,
 
MERRY CHRISTMAS AND A HAPPY NEW YEAR!
 
~Skooogster(:

1 comment:

  1. Uh...what might you do with this post to make it NON FICTION? You'll want to revise it for that so it isn't fiction (and not recycled)---in order to count it as a blog post for class.

    Cute story, though. So maybe you are just posting it as a extra gift to your readers?

    ReplyDelete