Sunday, December 9, 2012

Christmas Traditions

479 words


What is Christmas without a little tradition sprinkled here and there? Whether it's taking a family photo in front of the tree or going caroling as a family, almost every family does something unique. My family traditions are a bit odd but hey, traditions are traditions and Christmas just wouldn't be the same without them!

 

Christmas Key and Santa Screen:

This tradition spans at least four generations. When my mom was younger the room that they put their Christmas tree in had a door that closed and locked. When everyone woke up the morning of Christmas Eve the door would be locked because they always did their Christmas on Christmas Eve. After church at five or six they would come home and eat dinner but they couldn’t get to their presents until the door was unlocked. So finally after hours of waiting and eating and partying her dad would unlock the door, revealing all of their presents. My family took that tradition and twisted it a bit.

My house doesn’t have a door with a lock and key so we made screens out of plywood and painted them red. When Santa comes on Christmas Eve he puts up the screen and hides the key. On Christmas morning my sister and I can look through our stockings but we can’t go into the Christmas tree room until we find the key. Santa will usually leave a hint somewhere to help us out
 
My sister and I goofing off last year with the key in front of the screen.


 

Baby Jesus and the Nativity Scene:

When we put our nativity set away after Christmas, the baby Jesus figurine is placed gently in the box but when we take it out to set it up a year later, he’s not in there. We do this because technically, Baby Jesus doesn’t come until Christmas Eve so after church every year we come home and have to look for him and then put him in the manger to complete the scene.
 
One year we found Baby Jesus in one of our angel's arms

 

Well it was worth a try:

Every year we try to make a different kind of cookie or desert and every year we fail. This isn’t a planned tradition but sadly, it has slowly become one.
 

 

A Christmas Story:

Every Christmas we have to watch A Christmas Story and every year we find something else funny that we didn’t notice the year before.
 
 

 

Our Tree:

This isn’t exactly much of a tradition but every year we get a real tree. We go to a tree farm, pick out our tree and cut it down. In the little shed where you pay for the tree, these ladies usually are selling hot chocolate, cookies, and other winter decorations. I always get a Christmas tree cookie, hot chocolate and I always put a candy cane in my hot cocoa.  


 

So those are my traditions. They may be weird or strange to you but to me and my family, they represent another Christmas.
 
~Skooogster(:

3 comments:

  1. I think I have the pants you're wearing in the picture by your delightful red wall..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. they are pajama shorts from target haha

      Delete
    2. We have matching shorts. Haha I feel so cool now :D

      Delete