Thursday, December 6, 2012

Picture Day

503 words


Today is the dreaded school picture day; the only day of the year I actually make an effort to look good. I don’t know why exactly but people seem to just really despise this lowly day. It’s probably because people are very critical of the way that they look, me included. No matter how much you fuss, what you see in the mirror will never be good enough. It’s a day that guys come to school in just jeans and a tee-shirt. If they feel like really dressing up, they can wear a plain shirt (Guys have it so easy!). But the girls go all out.

Here’s a typical (probably exaggerated) schedule for us chicas:

5:00 wake up

5:10 start curling, straightening, scrunching, etc. their hair

(Depending on what they do to their hair, the time would be different. Maybe. But let’s go with curling to make a point.)

6:00 Put on make up

6:20 Get dressed (Careful! Don’t smudge your make up!)

6:30 Eat breakfast then brush teeth

6:45 leave

This would be if they had an early bird class. IF they didn’t, it would all be an hour later.

This is so ridiculous! Not to mention the multiple make up touch ups throughout the day depending on when your picture is being taken.

Then just when you think you look acceptable, the picture lady sits you up on a plastic step stool and takes a minute or two fussing over you.

No. that is not okay. I did not put that much hairspray in my hair just to have you move it. Maybe that’s how I want it.

Then they’re like, “now tilt your head a little.” Stare

Okay! Because I really want to look like I’m gazing off into space or a confused puppy. Definitely! I mean who doesn’t want that for their picture that goes in the yearbook that every single person in the whole school can see? No I, cherry pie!  

Again, is that really necessary? I would really like to just sit down, take the picture that I want, and be done. And if you add up all the time the picture lady takes moving and readjusting you, picture day wouldn’t take as long. Come on, people. Learn some time management.

After 11 years of waking up and making myself look presentable I am finally done. See, I’m a junior so next year I don’t have to get my picture taken because we use our senior pictures in the yearbook. For me, it’s kind of bittersweet. As much as I hate, hate, HATE, picture day, it’s finally sinking in how close I am to graduation and leaving high school. If any of you have older siblings, you kind of know what I’m talking about. When they were at home, they annoyed the heck out of you but as soon as they graduated and went off to college, you missed their annoying antics.

That’s kind of how I feel with picture day. I’ll kind of miss hating it.
 
~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment