Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Overconfidence Can be a Big Problem

364 words

Everyone does it and as an athlete, I am guilty of this as well: when you win a game you have a feeling of unexplainable pride. You want to go tell everyone you know and share your experience with your friends and family even if they could care less you just NEED to tell people!
There is nothing wrong with being proud of yourself and being happy with your performance but when it gets to your head that's when it becomes a problem. You think that you're all-that and the best of the best, big man on campus. Stuff like that. Honestly, no one wants to be around people who are like that. At least I don't. Because I know that one game doesn't describe your playing ability just like one mistake doesn't define who you are as a person. Then what usually happens is the next time they have to play a game they don't try as hard because they already have it in their mind that they are better than their opponent when in reality they aren't better and they get their butt kicked and after that they aren't too happy. But what really gets me is when the next day they go right back to their big-headed arrogant selves. Why don't those people learn?
The reason I am saying this is because this last weekend I had my first volleyball tournament and my team, luckily, won first place and I have to say I am very proud of my teammates. We all worked together to pull it off but it was a very small tournament and unfortunately probably one of our easiest this year. What I don't want to happen is for us to think that we are one of the best teams and go into our next tournament when in reality we probably will have to fight really hard again. So next time you or your sports team or anything really remember that nobody likes people who are full of themselves. In my past experiences I've noticed that sometimes it pulls teams apart and when it comes down to it that really hurts the team cuz ya know! Teamwork works!

~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment