Thursday, January 10, 2013

Zumba!

467 words


For those who want to stay fit but don’t want to go to the gym and climb onto one of those sweaty machines that probably have the sweat of twenty different people sprinkled all over it but prefer to actually enjoy themselves when they work out I encourage you to try Zumba. Zumba is a dance inspired by those of the Latin culture and includes hip-hop, soca, and samba, salsa, merengue, mambo, martial arts, some Bollywood and belly dance. It also incorporates squats and lunges that you sure as heck feel the next day! I’m not exactly interested in gym time but I wanted to find a way to stay fit during the cold of winter and Zumba was my answer!

 

I first tried Zumba at the Mini Dance Marathon that my school had about a month ago to raise money for kids with cancer (see Mini Dance Marathon/How Dances Should Be). One of our French teachers teaches it and so for about an hour we did some Zumba dances and I have to say, I’ve never had so much fun working out!

 

Later I found out that my school has a Zumba Club taught by the French teacher so on Tuesday I decided that I would try it out again. I invited some friends and my sister and I had such a fun time working out and dancing all at the same time! I could really feel it in my legs but sometimes there were some dances that I could feel my arms getting a good work out!

 

When I tell people what Zumba is I say that it is kind of like any of the Just Dance games. Personally I love Just Dance and whenever I have friends over we pull it out and go crazy. However, this is a bit different. Instead of killing your precious brain cells by watching a TV screen you’re out of the house dancing (even though I’m pretty sure they have a Zumba Wii game too but that’s a different story!). For me, there was a different sense of accomplishment when I left Zumba club than when I get done playing a round of Just Dance. I guess there is something to say about actually getting out and doing something instead of doing it in your living room!

 

When I asked my sister how she liked it she responded by saying that she likes to dance and since that’s basically what it is she really enjoyed it! Really! It’s just dancing; dancing that is meant to keep you in shape.

 

So for anyone who is looking for a fun way to work out I would definitely try Zumba. It gets your heart pumping and muscles working in a fun way that your brain doesn’t even know you’re working out.

~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment