Monday, January 21, 2013

If You're Not a Hollister Model, Don't Expect Me to be a Victoria's Secret Angel

518 words

Teenagers are self-conscious. It’s as easy as that and as a 16 year old girl I can completely understand why. Just look at what is splashed across billboards, shown on TV, in magazines, and in advertisements! The first thing you see when you walk into Hollister is a topless guy showing off his six-pack and his swim shorts hung low; walk into Victoria’s Secret and you see nearly naked women on every wall. What kind of message is this sending to kids these days? They are so surrounded by this that they have become brainwashed into thinking that this is what you’re supposed to look like. No wonder teenagers feel so self-conscious about the way that they look. Even though I know that these pictures that I see in magazines are photoshoped for the desired look I still look at someone on TV and wish I looked like them. It’s just the way that I grew up in society.

When I was little I went to a small Lutheran school and my family tried to protect me from these influences but every now and then I would see something and I remember telling my mom how uncomfortable it made me seeing things like that. Now I am in a public high school and went to a public middle school and I remember how one time I realized that the things that used to make me uncomfortable I had now just accepted. I’m so immune to things like this yet it still puts that message in my head that I need to have perfect skin, have perfect hair, and have that perfect thigh gap. I’m not overweight, far from it, actually, yet at times I feel like I need to go running or I need to go on a diet. I will spend hours in front of the mirror criticizing everything about my appearance and at times I hate myself for not being ‘perfect’. But in this society we have lost what the meaning of ‘perfect’ is.

In November of last year the thing people were talking about was the human Barbie. Even though she denies having a lot of plastic surgery, no woman is born with the same proportions as a Barbie Doll; it’s so unrealistic! Take a look for yourself here.

 

This is what the media does to us. It makes us believe that we aren't perfect enough. It shows us what they think is the desired look for women and here guys are subconsciously thinking that this is what women are supposed to look like. That’s why I say to a guy if he doesn’t look like a Hollister model don’t expect me to look like a Victoria’s Secret angel.

 

In today’s society it is so hard for girls to look in the mirror and tell themselves that they are pretty with all of these media influences blinding them. For a lot of girls, they won’t feel pretty, no matter how many people tell them that they are, until they see it themselves and thanks to photoshoped models that is getting harder and harder to do.
 
~Skooogster(:

1 comment: