Monday, January 21, 2013

A Techie's Gotta Do what a Techie's Gotta Do!

416 words

Sometimes things don't go exactly as planned and then you have to figure out what the heck you are going to do in order for things to continue to run smoothly.

This happened to me just yesterday. I am in the tech crew for my school's prep show choir and yesterday we had a competition. We performed well enough to make it to the finals. This meant that we got the opportunity to perform again and that it had to be virtually flawless. My number one job is to get the cellist's microphone out on stage for the ballad then take it back to mic the Congo drums for the closer. The stage was extremely small and cramped so when I took the mic back there wasn't any room to set it down where it wouldn't fall over. So I quickly thought of what I could do so I eventually decided that I should just sit there behind the risers squished in next to the drum set and hold onto the mic. My hips and legs started to cramp up but I didn't dare move. (I also think I messed up my left eardrum from the drums). If I hadn't done that the audience wouldn't have heard the drums and I would have felt horrible that I let the group down.

Another example is last weekend, our keyboard player pretty much saved the show. Technically, Happiness Inc., our varsity choir, is supposed to go straight from their second song to their ballad but the audience kept clapping and if they would have kept going the judges wouldn’t be able to hear the soloists. So the pianist thought fast and just kept play8ing the same chord over and over until the clapping died down before continuing the rest of the song.

When we do these things, we don’t ask for recognition. Some people do but I don’t. I do it because it is what I have to do. When they told me that I had to mic the drum I would not let a cramped space stop anyone from hearing them so I did what I had to do to let them be heard. It was just job that I had to do. Maybe I had to take that extra step to get it done but it still got done. I don’t want recognition because, honestly, no one was supposed to know anything went wrong. And since they didn’t, that is was made me proud of myself!
 
~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment