Tuesday, April 23, 2013

When One Door Closes, Another Door Opens

478 words

I get home today and get the mail and there are three things addressed to me. All three of them are from three different colleges telling me about one thing or another. One was about Cornell College but that one isn’t important to what I’m talking about here. The other two were telling me about summer camps that they had. One of them, from Concordia Nebraska was giving me dates and times of their volleyball camps. The other, from the University of Nebraska, Lincoln, was telling me about various summer marching band camps that they are having. This was kind of a wake-up call to me. Not really, but it just showed me how my interests have changed from even a year ago.

A year ago I was head-over-heals crazy about volleyball. I wanted to play on varsity and play in college, possibly getting a scholarship to a small school. My parents and I spent so much money and time on volleyball camps and teams and clinics and private training. But this fall, all of that was taken away when I got my concussion and was out the whole season. I was devastated.

Little did I know that my concussion would open up a whole different door that would make my college choosing process so much simpler.

I was Drum Major for my school’s marching band, as many of you know, and I guess I was lucky because if I had been a regular marcher, my doctor wouldn’t have let me participate because, as silly as it sounds, I could get hit with a color guard flag or a trombone slide or something. (Don’t laugh, it’s happened before!) Being Drum Major made me realize how much I love band and how much I actually missed marching so I thought, “hey, why don’t I just march in college?” so that’s what I’m going to do.

A year ago I was determined to play volleyball in college but now it has taken a break in the back of my mind. So when I got two post cards in the mail, one about volleyball and the other about marching band and I got really excited about the band one that just showed me where my interest lies.

The sad thing is, my family is thinking about going on a vacation the same week as the band camp so my chances of going are slim. The UNL marching band is one of THE bands to be in. They are amazing and honestly, it is my dream to be in that band but the school isn’t exactly strong in the areas I want to go into like UNI does (where I’m 98% sure I’m going). They also have auditions and, frankly, I don’t know if I’m good enough to get in. But hey, if you aim high, you’ll land among the stars, right?
~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment