Sunday, April 7, 2013

Age is but a Number.

377 words

You’ve all heard the cliché: ‘age is but a number’ right? Do you believe that? If a couple is happy together should age matter? Well, if it is a fifteen year old girl with a thirty year old guy that’s a little wrong. As you get older things start to get a little less awkward when it comes to age difference. But what about an older girl dating a younger boy?

Recently my friends and I have been talking about the unwritten guidelines of dating. Apparently, the guy is taller than the girl and the guy is older than the girl. But really, where did these come from? When did that become the norm and everything else is just...different? If a senior girl is dating a sophomore boy it's weirder than if a senior boy is dating a sophomore girl. Why is that? If they are happy together then why should age matter? I am actually friends with more underclassmen than upperclassmen so the odds of me dating a younger guy are greater than not. Also, I am very young for my grade. Currently, I am only 16 and I don't turn 17 until September. So technically, I am the age of most sophomores. True, I’d be a few months older but junior girl and sophomore boy just seems to have an awkward ring to it in today's society.

 

This probably comes from way back when, when girls about my age would be arranged to marry some thirty year old weirdo and the 'tradition' of guys being older than girls just continued as such.

 

But in my family, an older woman marrying a younger man is kind of normal. Especially on my Dad’s side. He’s the only one who married a younger woman in his family. So if I end up with someone younger than me, I would just keep going with the pattern of my dad’s side.

So girls, if you like someone who is younger than you, don’t think that it’s weird. Same thing goes with you guys, if you like someone older than you, don’t be afraid to go for her. It might not be the norm but there are plenty of guys who marry older women. IT’s not the norm but it’s acceptable!
 
~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment