Thursday, April 18, 2013

A Walk in Dublin - my poem


A Walk in Dublin

 

1 I gaze out my window

2 On the eve of St. Patrick’s Day

3 There are cars buzzing1 by

4 Streets brimming with bustling people

 

5 I walk outside though the front entrance

6 Lit up by green lights, I am greeted by your smile2

7 The streets narrow as the distance between us

8 The pavement curving crookedly

 

9 I take in a breath

10 Savoring the March breeze

11 Feeling the brisk air upon our pinkish cheeks

12 I advance with caution

 

13 The glow of the street lamps

14 Glitters like silver upon the River Liffey3

15 The water drifts lazily beneath the dim arches

16 And I grab for your hand as the chill settles in

 

17 The once illuminated sidewalk

18 Had now grown dim

19 Vacant in mind and alone in spirit

20 Together, we are alone4

 

21 A light mist begins

22 Water sprinkles and dances5 its way off the leaves of trees

23 Wetting the grand green grass6&7

24 Gently numbing our delicate faces

 

25 We stray from the main roads

26 Down the elaborate pathways of stone and brick

27 That wind through such magnificent parks and meadows

28 Our feet pressing upon the soft ground with each step

 

29 Our eyes then smiled at each other8

30 We are flooded with desire

31 And just the slow pitter-patter of our hearts can be heard9

32 As we dissolve into the horizon

 

33 Only a walk through

34 The drizzly Dublin night

35 A walk with you

 

 

 

 

1 - Onomatopoeia: “buzzing”

2 - Synecdoche: "greeted by your smile”   It’s a synecdoche because obviously the person greeted me, but the smile stands for the whole person.

3 - Simile: “glitters like silver. . .” This simile helps show how beautiful and amazing the River Liffey is. (This is the river that goes through the center of Dublin)

4 - Paradox: “together we were alone”  This paradox is deep because it first shows the reader that we’re together, but then secondly reveals that no one else is around; it’s ironic because they’re alone—together.

5 - Personification: “water sprinkles and dances”   water can’t dance!

6 – ALITERATION: “grand green grass”

7 - Imagery: “grand green grass”   This is only one example of imagery in the poem, but there are a couple of others too!

8 - Personification: “Our eyes then smiled at each other”  eyes can’t smile! Thus, this creates a picture of eyes twinkling as they would if someone was actually smiling.

9 - Diction again, not the only example, but in this particular instance, words like ”pitter-patter” and “flooded”  help relate back to the theme of rain that occurs throughout the poem.

 
~Skoogster(:

P.S. yes I know it is over 28 lines but I really like it sooo...yeah!
 

4 comments:

  1. I liked your poem! I can really imagine it because you did a good job in telling us about your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good. It's like I was in Ireland with you. Except I wasn't. Also. You're cute <3

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's like I actually can tell what you're talking about lol but seriously bro you need to stop with the whole Ireland obsession thing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think you have to stop your Ireland obsession, no matter what SwagMuffin says! ;)

    I love how this poem captures your trip to Ireland and your relationship, as well as this particular moment in time. You should definately feature this poem in a scrapbook of your trip!! Or, maybe you've already made one?!? I'd love to see it.

    ReplyDelete