Sunday, April 14, 2013

Honor Bands

317 words


Today I went to my first ever honor band at Coe College. I had never been to one before so I had absolutely no idea what to expect!

After we signed in and got registered, we were sent to an area with other people who play the same instrument as you to have chair auditions. Luckily for me, it was my lesson teacher doing auditions for flute so it wasn't anywhere as nerve-wracking as I thought it would be! That took about an hour (there were about eighteen flutes! Yikes!) then we were all squished into a small band room. It was hot and stuffy. Not the most ideal setting for musical instruments, that's for sure!

We rehearsed for about two and a half to three hours before dinner. I was so hungry I could barely play a good note on my flute. The food was pretty decent considering we ate in the Coe dining hall. After eating in college dinning halls it isn't hard to see how easy gaining the 'freshman fifteen' is. They had an icee machine!

After dinner we had two more hours of rehearsal. My lips are so sore. I've never played that much for that long.

The music that we are playing is actually really fun! We are playing four pieces: two fast and two slow. The fast ones are going to need a lot of work done on them before next weekend when we all meet up again for our last rehearsal and our concert but they will get there. They aren't totally impossible!

If you have ever wondered what an honor band is like, well, there you go! I mean, this is the only one i have been to but I'm sure they are pretty similar in what they do! But just know going into it that you are going to have chapped lips and sore hands when you're done.


~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment