Thursday, April 25, 2013

Bullying

549 words

You know, I’m actually surprised that I haven’t blogged about this yet. Bullying is a huge problem and finally, people are starting to realize that bullying is more than one kid beating up another. According to Marriam-Webster Dictionary, a bully is one habitually cruel to others who are weaker. Nowhere in there does it mention physical abuse. For the longest time people thought bullying was physical but they failed to see the emotional and verbal aspect of it.

From about second grade to sixth grade I was bullied. I was never beat up or hit once but I was bullied all the same. But when I would tell the teachers they shrugged it off because they didn’t see it as bullying. They blamed me for it. They said that I was being oversensitive and insecure and that’s why I would go home crying. They didn’t think that the constant teasing would be considered bullying.

To an onlooker, it wouldn’t have seemed like much. A comment here and a comment there but nothing too harsh. But to me, it was horrible. It wasn’t just one comment once. No, it was one comment thrown at me by five different people, ten times a day, and every day. Asking them to stop became pointless because I knew that they wouldn’t stop. Telling a teacher soon wasn’t a possibility because I was ‘too sensitive’.

I have to be honest and say, yes I was a little weird when I was little but as I got older I became more ‘normal’. By the time I was in sixth grade, I was just as normal as you but my other classmates couldn’t get passed who I used to be and would still make fun of me using the same worn-out joke that I have heard for years. So. I moved.

If my classmates couldn’t accept my change then I had to move to somewhere that they don’t know my history.


I moved schools and haven’t been bullied since. But also, since then, teachers and parents and the whole world has become more aware of what bullying means. We have started to learn that bullying is more than just physical. Someone can get hurt by a few words. You might not see the harm in it but having someone be rude to you or make fun of you constantly tears you apart inside. You’re never the same. You constantly flashback to your time in elementary school when things were so bad and it makes you sick that people would think it was okay to act like that to another classmate.

It’s really hard to forget what people have said. If I hadn’t repressed most of the memories I could tell you everything that was said to me. But fortunately, I don’t remember too much. I have been able to push them from my mind and I can’t even force them to the front. They’re gone and I don’t want them back.

So please, I cannot stress thing enough. Think before you speak. I know you hear that from teachers and parents and everyone but this time it’s coming from a victim; someone who has been verbally bullied before. I don’t want other kids to have to go through what I did. Please. Think before you speak.

~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment