Tuesday, March 26, 2013

To Ireland and Back Again

1,113 words

I just got back from my amazing trip to the beautiful country of Ireland on Sunday and let me tell you, I did NOT want to come home! No matter where you go you will see green grass and have fresh air like you wouldn't believe! It was one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had in my life.
After a long and exhausting eight hour flight to Dublin from Chicago, we got on a coach (charter bus) and toured around Dublin, stopping at Trinity College to see the Book of Kells and the Long Room.

The Long Room

The Book of Kells
Sunday was Saint Patrick's Day and I can honestly say that I have never seen so many people stretching their necks to their limits to try and see around the hundreds of people there. There were people on top of statues, churches, roofs, phone booths and hanging out of windows to try and see the parade. Unfortunately, it was a really cold and rainy day so the two and a half to three hour wait before the parade actually started was a bit miserable.

Okay so as much as I just want to recap EVERYTHING for you, I think I will just continue with the major sight seeing opportunities.

Blarney Castle:
This was one of my favorite days of the trip. I just wished we had more time to explore more of the castle. The main attraction at the castle is the Blarney Stone. If you lay on your back and hang over the edge of the castle and kiss the bottom most stone, you're supposed to be blessed with the gift of being social (or something like that). In order to get up to the top of the castle you were able to walk through most of it, seeing all the rooms like the kitchen and girls' rooms. The stairs however were freakishly narrow with only a rope that went from the top to the bottom to hang on to. the higher up you got, the narrower the steps got. Once at the top you can look out over the entire gardens of Blarney. It was so green and beautiful! Probably as green as we will ever get here unfortunately. And if you were wondering, yes I did kiss the stone and I even got a shirt that reads, "do you remember your first kiss?" pretty epic, no?

Just look at how green it is!

Blarney Castle, everyone!
The view from somewhat the top

Me going down to kiss the stone

Cobh:
Cobh is a little sea side town which is where the Titanic actually left from before it sank (at least I'm pretty sure. Sorry for all the uncertainty. I just know there was a lot of Titanic stuff at the gift shop). There wasn't much to do with the time given to us but a little down the road is a beautiful cathedral but we didn't have time to go see it. So if you ever go to Cobh, check it out and let me know what you think!
This is a statue of the first people to step foot on Ellis Island from either Ireland or Cobh.

Panorama of Cobh

Belfast:
Belfast is actually part of Northern Ireland which is part of Great Britain. There were British flags on every single lamp post. It was crazy. On our second day there, we took a tour and drove past the church that C. S. Lewis (author of the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe) went to church with his grandpa. Then we went to a high school and performed there and actually ate their school lunch and got to meet some of them. It was absolutely amazing to hear what life as a teen is like over there. Plus, they were all super nice (and I'm actually friends with one on Facebook!). Also in Belfast, there is the Titanic Museum where the legendary ship was built. I have never actually seen the movie all the way though but I do know the story. I highly recommend that you go visit the museum if you are ever in the area. If you ever get a chance to go to Belfast, check out Victoria Square Mall as well. IT'S AMAZING! it has an observation dome at the top where you can go up and pretty much see all of Belfast. Plus, it's kind of a indoor-outdoor mall which is hard to explain but it's still pretty cool!
the Titanic Museum

The last photograph ever taken of the Titanic before it sank


The church C. S. Lewis went to
The only Titanic memorial in the world with all the names of the people who sank


Victoria Square Mall


me at the top of the mall

Giant's Causeway:
Best. Day. Of. The. Entire. Trip. At least in my opinion and I don't even know why. It was probably one of the worst days weather wise. It was hailing and windy and raining and cold yet we all had a blast. Scientifically, the Causeway was formed by lava causing it to harden in hexagonal shapes but the myth goes that they were all once really tall and a giant ran away from another giant disguised as a baby (and if the baby was THAT big, he didn't want to mess with the dad!) and as he ran he hit all the rocks down. Me and my friends went to the top of the cliff where there was nothing to break the wind and it was just biting cold but we still managed to survive!
Me on the rocks

just the rocks

how cool is this?!

The beautiful cliff that we got to the top of.

Our last day was spent in Dublin where we had three hours to ourselves to shop and hang out and explore Dublin. Gafton Street is the main shopping area where most of the stores are. There are street performers and lots of good food. OH! If you ever go to Dublin, stop into an Insomnia Coffee shop and get a Hot Angel. So. Good! It's kind of like a white chocolate hot chocolate with vanilla or something delicious in it. I highly recommend it!

So that was my trip! If you ever get the chance to visit Ireland, you should visit these places. Ireland is the most beautiful place I have ever been to and would jump at another chance to visit. I've already decided that I'm going to move to Dublin, live in a house with a red or blue Dublin Door, marry a cute Irish boy and have cute Irish kids.
It'll happen.

~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment