Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Sports in Today's Society

502 words

I have been playing sports almost since I could walk as do most people. That’s just how it is. But I feel that today we put way too much pressure on little kids to do well in sports. Now don’t get me wrong, playing sports at young ages isn’t bad. In fact, it’s the total opposite. But when your five year old son misses the ball in t-ball, he’s five. You don’t have to keep him after a game for half an hour having him hit ball after ball. He’s five. Take him home, buy him an ice cream cone and tell him you’re proud of him.

When kids have this image in their mind that they need to be a five star athlete by the time they reach middle school, things start to go seriously wrong. You have juniors in high school with injuries you used to only see in adults. You never used to see teenagers needing ACL surgery or tearing tendons in their knees. But because we are putting kids in competitive sports so early, they are more prone to these potentially career ending injuries.

When I talk to my mom and dad about this topic, they always tell me that when they were my age, you never really knew what your talents were until you got to high school, maybe even college. Can you imagine someone who had never played football before, going into the University of Iowa and saying to the athletic director, “I want to play football,”? Sure it’s been done before and there have been movies made about it but life isn’t a movie. If you want to do that, you have to make up ten years plus of training and skills.

Sometimes if you are in a sport for so long, you can get really bored with it. I have played volleyball since fifth grade so next year I will have played for eight years plus five years of club volleyball. I used to LOVE playing volleyball. I wanted to get a scholarship and had dreams of playing for the University of Nebraska, Lincoln. I could picture myself on their court playing other Big 10 teams. But after a while, it just gets tiring. I have spent so much time and money and spent up so much of my summers with private training and camps and practices that I finally realized how much I was missing out on. There is so much more that I wish I could have done looking back that I was never able to do because of volleyball.

So this is a message to both kids and parents alike. Don’t push yourself so much that you hurt yourself and are out all season and try and maybe see what else there is out there. There is a whole world out there full of opportunities that are just sitting there waiting for you to find them. Take a step back from your sports and realize what the world has to offer.
 
~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment