Saturday, March 9, 2013

Les Misérables

393 words


Last weekend my family and I finally went to see the movie phenomenon Les Misérables. I wasn’t really sure what I was expecting to see but despite that I thought it was an amazing movie. It IS a musical so it does take an acquired taste in musicals. If you are a person who has a hard time sitting though musicals or things like them, I recommend not seeing it in a theater. Maybe rent it once it comes out on DVD (which I heard was soon but I’m not 100% sure so don’t quote me on it).

The movie is set during the French Revolution and is about how Jean Valjean (Hugh Jackman) is released from prison but is still constantly running from the law. The movie follows him though the next years of the revolution: how he tries to make a suitable life for himself and later Cosette (Amanda Seyfried) without being caught again. You know, I’m not really sure why the police are still chasing after him but I’m sure it’s in there I just missed it.

One thing that I was a little skeptical on was the singing. The main characters aren’t exactly singers, but more of actors but I was pleasantly surprised at their performance. I’m no music expert by any means but I do know that they I have heard professional singers sing worse than the people in the movie. One of my favorite aspects of the music was that it was all sung live. The director didn’t want the music pre-recorded because he thought that the live singing put more of the emotion of the song into it which I do have to agree with. Plus, the songs are just beautifully sung and are like flies to the spider web that is your brain. I’ve been singing the songs for the last week and all of my friends are probably getting annoyed by now. Some of my favorites are “Do You Hear the People Sing?”, “On My Own”, and “Castle on a Cloud.”

If you have been thinking about seeing Les Misérables, I highly recommend that you do. It is such a beautifully made movie, the costumes and makeup are just phenomenal and the music is great. But remember to pack a few Kleenex’s. A couple of scenes sure did trigger the water works for me!





~Skooogster(:

No comments:

Post a Comment