Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Me: The LIttle Shot


So this first post is supposed to be an "about me" post. Unfortunately for me, this is tough. I've never been one to bring attention to myself. I've always been that girl that hid in the shadows of other people; never anything special. I was just me: a weird girl with a whole lot of problems. Nobody expected me to become anything spectacular in years to come. Doctors told my parents not to expect an athletic or academic future and to not be surprised if I continued to stay in the back of the class hoping no one sees me. Quiet as I was, I would never take no for an answer. If someone said that I couldn’t do something, I did whatever I could to prove them wrong.

In third grade I started doing vision therapy and occupational therapy to turn my future around. The therapy was emotionally and mentally exhausting and painful. Trying to get your eyes to work together is not an easy task. People that haven’t experienced it have no idea what-so-ever the amount of effort it takes to do this. But I was determined to get better.

At the time, I was going to a small private school. They didn’t have the resources I needed at the school so my family had to make accommodations for me. By the time I was in fifth grade, I was beginning to become more normal, you could say. I still wasn’t very coordinated, which showed as soon as I started volleyball, but other things were improving. As I continued to progress, I became more aware of the fact that my classmates had known me my whole life and new what kind of person I was and had a hard time accepting the new me. Before, I was totally oblivious to any judgment but as sixth grade came around, I just wasn’t happy anymore. That’s when I decided to transfer to public school.

Transferring was one of the best things that happened to me. I had a couple friends there and I knew they weren’t the kind to judge and everyone else had no idea of my past. I could start on a new, clean slate.  I’ve made amazing progress since then. I went from being the girl that was told I couldn’t do sports or be very smart to being a volleyball player on high level teams, being an honor roll student, and being the Drum Major of my marching band. I have been recognized as a leader by many teachers which goes to show that I am no longer that girl that sits at the back of class trying to be invisible.

So that’s just a little bit about me. I’m not a big shot; I’m a little shot that keeps shooting. Still, to this day, I’m not catching peoples’ eye as ‘an amazing athlete’ but I never give up. If I’m faced with a tough situation, I don’t give up, I figure out how to climb the wall and keep going.  
 
~Skooogster(:

 

 

1 comment: